Turkey Smoke Contest Rules
Please note that the rules have changed for the 2021 season and should be read carefully prior to competing.
- Turkey must be the primary protein and primary component of the entry. Other proteins maybe used in a supporting role(e.g.,bacon- wrapped or sausage-stuffed). Sliced, pulled, or chopped turkey is acceptable in an entry; ground turkey is NOT an acceptable entry. Turkey may be presented with or without skin.
- Each contestant will be provided complimentary turkey product, typically a boneless skin-on breast, with the exact cut to be determined with the Organizer prior to the contest. Contestants are encouraged to use the product provided, but are welcome to utilize their own turkey product, provided it is not ground turkey. All contestant-provided proteins are subject to meat inspection.
- All KCBS Master Series Rules and Regulations shall apply with the following exceptions:
- A food thermometer shall be used to ensure a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 °F has been reached to destroy bacteria and prevent foodborne illness.
- Accompanying or complementary edible ingredients ARE allowed (e.g., mashed potatoes, dressing, gravy, relish, fruits, vegetables, cheese, bread, etc.). If used, these shall be part of the individual serving portions and cannot be used as a container garnish. KCBS Garnish rule 12 applies. Garnish is optional. If garnish is used, it must be on the acceptable garnish list.
- Clearly identifiable toothpicks and skewers are also allowed.
- Please refer to KCBS rule 6 for heating sources. Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets, or charcoal. Gas and electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking or holding the entry.