BACKYARD BBQ COMPETITION
Are people always telling you your ribs are the BEST around? Or maybe you are looking to take your BBQ skills to the next level. Cook up some of your best chicken and ribs and participate in the Backyard BBQ Competition at the Smoke in the Grove BBQ Festival on Saturday July 30, 2022.
This amateur contest is intended for the local backyard BBQ enthusiasts, those people whose friends and family that tell them they create fantastic ribs and chicken at home and of course, for those ready to take their BBQ to the next level! Participants can register as a group or as an individual and the cost to enter is $125. The winners will receive a trophy, a cash prize and ultimate bragging rights. Participants are also allowed to camp in their spots Friday night before the contest.
Amateur Contest Details & Rules:
- Our Amateur Contest consists of two categories. Chicken and Ribs.
- An additional ancillary pork category is available as an option.
- Chicken can be any piece or cut of chicken. Must provide enough for 6 judges.
- Ribs can be either spares or baby back and must be turned in bone-in.
- Contestant provides their own meat which must be inspected prior to starting to prepare/cook.
- Start at check-in with cold, untreated, raw meat. Meat may be trimmed, but cannot be pre-cooked, soaked, marinated, brined prior to inspection.
- KCBS rules will be followed:
- Charcoal, or wood cooking methods may be used. All cooking must be done onsite
- Allowed Garnishes: Chopped, sliced, shredded or whole leaves of fresh green lettuce, parsley, or kale.
- All competitors will have approximately a 20’x20’ area to cook in.
- Turn-in containers will be provided after meat inspection.
- All competitors must have a fire extinguisher
- All meat must be kept below 40 degrees prior to cooking.
- Electricity and water will be provided within 50 feet of designated cooking space.
- Parking will be provided onsite but away from the contest area.
- Prize money
- Grand Champion -- $750 and Trophy
- Reserve Grand Champion --$500 and Trophy
- One in each category
- 1st Place -- $200 and Trophy
- 2nd Place -- $100 and Trophy
- 3rd Place -- $50 and Trophy
Please complete the form below to register your backyard team for the Backyard BBQ competition at Smoke in the Grove.
Entry fees are $125 per team for a 20 x 20 space.